We are looking for a creative but organised and technical mind to join the Design team at Howe, to take ideas from concept through to reality. This is a new position created to accelerate the growth of both our new Howe Home ‘stocked’ range of furniture and homewares and develop existing and new designs for our well established ‘bespoke’ range. A fantastic understanding and appreciation of materials and traditional techniques or a strong ambition to learn is essential as you will be liaising directly with our existing UK makers as well as souring new craftspeople and workshops. The role will include everything from preparing technical drawings to researching and agreeing pricing, to managing the timeline of a project, all the time with quality and sustainability at the forefront.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing team, to work with the most incredible makers and immerse yourself in traditional design and craftsmanship with a progressive, conscious and scalable approach.
– Full responsibility for the product development of the Howe Home ready-to-buy range, taking the products from initial design concept, through the production process, to be ready for sale to customer
– Working closely with the designer from new product concept stage to advise on appropriate sourcing of materials and manufacturers
– Sourcing new domestic makers and producers to create the best possible product, always looking for new innovations, developments and opportunities
– Responsibility for production costings and pricing
– Build, develop and maintain excellent relationships with the factories/makers so information is communicated in a timely manner, including all fabrications, technical data, etc
– Ensuring all items are delivered on time and to the agreed technical spec
– Responsibility for both the compliance of materials and ensuring any relevant testing has been carried out, i.e., strength and stability testing, fire retardancy, etc
– Understand and interpret all manufacturing standards, test certificates and product regulations relevant to your products range
– Working closely and collaboratively with the in-house upholsterer, finisher and workshop team
– Looking at sustainability within the vendor base, working with suppliers to ensure products are being made ethically and as eco-friendly as possible
– Solid experience as a Furniture Product Developer / Technologist
– A genuine love of furniture and interiors, and an appreciation of and passion for beautifully crafted products
– An eye for detail, accurate, and an excellent multi-tasker who is deadline driven
– A first-class communicator
– Being comfortable when working under pressure, ability to act on your own initiative
– A proactive problem solver, with excellent negotiation skills and the ability to foresee issues
Full time, based between 93 Pimlico Road and our Battersea warehouse
To apply for this role send your CV and cover letter to Holly Howe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a portfolio of relevant work rather than a general link to your website or social media account.