Saucer Chair Attributed to Max Gottschalk
A patinated green leather and steel sling chair attributed to Max Gottschalk bearing the original Gottschalk stamp. This example with hand stitched leather panels suspended within a circular steel frame. America, circa, 1975
Max Jules Gottschalk (1909-2005) was born in St. Louis, Missouri, to a family of musicians, artists, designers and scientists. He entered Washington University at age just 13 and studied art and design. After receiving a bachelor’s degree, he did post-graduate work in radio engineering, archaeology, art history and music.
He later worked as Chief Technical Advisor of the Department of Agriculture and Rural Reconstruction in the Dominion of Newfoundland where the government assigned him the task of designing workshop furniture for the agricultural community of Markland. His designs combined modernist principles with the use of natural materials however the onset of World War II ended the government’s economic reconstruction programs and Gottschalk’s work.
His artistic interests included mid-century modern industrial design which combined “natural” materials like leather with production materials such as aluminum and steel. The result was beautifully proportioned work that embraced and embodied both the Southwestern aesthetic and Modern design principles. Gottschalk often worked with leather that was irregular and flawed, celebrating the material’s imperfections.
DimensionsMax Width: 760mm / 30"
Max Depth: 680mm / 26 ¾"
Max Height: 700mm / 27½"